01509-852919
07812-024973

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide is a deadly and silent killer, it is colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous and can overpower the average human in minutes, don't take any chances.
For the safety of you and your family, book your Carbon Monoxide safety check, NOW

Safety Information

CARBON MONOXIDE AND SOLID FUEL

Many people think that carbon monoxide only comes from gas appliances, but the truth is that ANY fuel that burns creates carbon monoxide.

By now we should all know that carbon monoxide is a very dangerous, colourless, odourless gas. All appliances installed since 1st October 2010 must have a carbon monoxide detector fitted in the same room.

CHIMNEY MAINTENANCE – WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?

When fuels burn in an appliance, fumes that are the by-products of combustion including carbon monoxide are released into the chimney. The main purpose of the chimney is to remove these fumes from the living area. As well as removing toxic gases, chimneys also create the draught (flow of air) that provides the proper air and fuel mixture for efficient operation of the heating appliance.
Many chimneys in daily use in homes throughout the country either are improperly sized or have conditions that make them unable to perform properly putting the home owner at risk.

Does my gas appliance chimney need to be swept?


YES: Chimneys servicing gas appliances need to be cleaned annually. Landlords have a responsibility to make sure that all gas appliances are serviced annually, it is also the landlord's responsibility to make sure that the flue ways are cleaned annually by a qualified chimney sweep.

Deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning are very significant and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has documentation stating that all gas flues need to be swept annually by qualified chimney sweeps, and that this responsibility cannot be passed on to the tenant.

If you suspect that you or someone you know is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning get urgent medical advice and do not use your appliance until it has been checked by a competent person.

 Symptoms, what to look for.

Symptoms

Too much carbon monoxide in your blood will kill you. Less well known is the fact that low-level exposure to this gas also endangers your health.
In the body the red blood cells transport oxygen around the body. It can do this because the chemical bonds between the oxygen and the haemoglobin are weak, enabling the red cells to easily drop the oxygen where it is needed. Carbon monoxide forms a more permanent bond with haemoglobin which cannot normally be broken and prevents the blood transporting oxygen to the body tissues.
The side effects that can result from this low-level exposure include permanent organ and brain damage. Infants and the elderly are more susceptible than healthy adults, as are those with anaemia or heart disease.
The symptoms of low-level carbon monoxide poisoning are so easily mistaken for those of the common cold, flu or exhaustion that proper diagnosis can be delayed. Because of this, be sure to see your doctor about persistent, flu-like symptoms, chronic fatigue or generalized depression.

CarbMon